Feeling alone, hopeless, or worthless because of an addiction? That is most likely because despite the immediate rush of euphoria that they give, drugs, alcohol, and other addictive behaviors, by their very natures, also breed deep feelings of isolation, detachment, shame, and discouragement.
There are many people around you who want to offer you a helping hand as you start your path to a full recovery. You already know some of these people, and then there are others that you don’t know yet, but you will soon enough. Your ability to trust yourself will be restored as you get help from the right people in the right places, follow through with your new-found commitment to personal honesty and change, and start a new track record of consistent positive choices.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
– Albert Einstein
We hope that you are here to get information because you are ready to kick your addiction. We believe in the power of choices, the power of the brain to rewire itself and the power of determined people like you. Believe in yourself and start taking steps toward recovery.
Your Addiction Can Be Treated Successfully
No matter what you are experiencing, it is important to know that your addiction can be treated. Detox and treatment will enable you to counteract the powerful disruptive effects that addiction has had on your brain and behavior and will help you to regain control of your life.
The images below show a comparison between the brain of a healthy person and that of a methamphetamine abuser from one month of abstinence to 14 months of abstinence from drugs. Physical brain change is possible.
If you are seeking help and treatment for your addiction, the following resources will help you understand addiction and the options that are available for treatment and recovery.
- Am I An Addict?
- Habit or Addiction: What’s the Difference?
- Addiction and Addictive Personality
- How Does An Addiction Start?
- What Is Addiction?
- A Guide to Understanding Addiction
- How Shame Fuels Addiction and How to Stop It
- Finding The Strength to Fight Addiction
- Are You Numbing With Alcohol?
- The Facts about Suboxone, Subutex, and Buprenorphine
- The Long Term Effects of Heroin
Addiction Treatment and Recovery
- Addiction Treatment Options
- Overcoming a Prescription Drug Addiction
- Stages of Addiction Treatment
- New Methods of Treating Addictions
- Do Drug Addiction Medications Actually Work?
- Dual Diagnosis: Treating Drug Addiction and Mental Illness
- Residential Rehab or Outpatient Treatment: How to Decide?
- What You Should Know About 12-Step Programs
- Guide to Addiction Treatment and Recovery
- Addiction Rehabilitation and Recovery
- Importance of Staying in Recovery
- Major Causes of Relapse After Treatment
- Addiction Resources: Where Can I Find Help?