How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve [their] world!
– Anne Frank
People’s life experiences, perspectives, successes, as well as life difficulties and traumas vary dramatically. Addictions and disorders then add room for further diversity and complications. A range of severity exists in addictions and disorders because of frequency and length of substance or behavior abuse and the combination of co-existing addictions and influencing mental illnesses. Because people and addictions vary so dramatically, the way that we address and treat addiction should also vary from person to person.
There is a wide range of addiction recovery programs and treatment theories that have been attempted throughout time, and although some are more largely successful than others, we unfortunately have not yet found an end-all, cure-all formula that works for every addict. Research from the National Institute on Drug Abuse shows that about 40% to 60% of drug addicts will relapse from their plan on treatment. While the possibility of relapse is high, addiction treatment and recovery will help withstand with the ongoing psychological pressures and compulsions associated with addiction. Those that continue with treatment, even during their times with relapse, will have a much better chance at achieving full recovery.
There are many treatment options that are available to you as you start on your road to addiction recovery. The information below will inform you about these options so that you feel empowered to make the best decision for your recovery. If you still have questions about which treatment options you should pursue, please call our addiction advisors anytime. Calling is free, no-obligation, and anonymous. Call: 1-800-259-1361
Regardless of which treatment option you choose, you should consider and evaluate each option with regards to the following topics:
- Affordability and accessibility
- Center licensing
- Staff credentials
- Length of program
- Types of addictions treated
- Level of individual care and program customization
- Program structure
- Medically supervised detox
- Program philosophies and foundational principles
- Group-specific programs
- Lifestyle and comfort level
- Post-program, ongoing support availability and level
- Modalities offered
- Treatment flexibility
- Dual-diagnosis treatment options
Here are some helpful articles that will give you an in-depth look at how to understand and evaluate various addiction treatment programs and centers.
- Guide to Addiction Treatment and Recovery
- Residential Rehab or Outpatient Treatment: How to Decide
- How to Pay for Addiction Treatment
- Addiction Treatment Options
- 5 Ways to Reduce the Cost of Addiction Treatment
- The Recovery Miracle, TRMTM
- What You Need to Know About 12-step Programs
- Addiction Rehabilitation and Recovery Process
- Major Causes for Relapse After Treatment
- What To Expect From the First Time in Treatment
- Which Treatment is Right for Me?
- Stages of Addiction Treatment
- Addiction Treatment in Prison
- Get Help With Your Addiction
- Help a Loved One With Addiction
- Finding The Strength to Fight Drug Addiction: Personal Stories
- New Methods of Treating Addiction
- Addiction Resources